DEMETER Scientific Results
This document presents some scientific results obtained by Demeter after 6 years in orbit. The complete list of papers can be found in the Publications page. Only few discoveries are illustrated by figures. They are classified according to the scientific objectives of the mission:
- Study of the ionospheric perturbations in relation with the seismic activity,
- Study of the ionospheric perturbations in relation with the man-made activity.
Other important topics have been studied because at the beginning of the mission we were in the decreasing part of the solar cycle and Demeter was able to observe the effects of the intense magnetic storms. Finally to build bridges between Demeter and the future micro-satellite Taranis which will study the electrostatic discharges produced between the top of the thunderstorm clouds and the bottom of the ionosphere, the Demeter data have been used to validate modes of the future experiments. Then new results concerning the thunderstorms have been obtained.
- Inner radiation belt particle acceleration and energy structuring by drift resonance with ULF waves during geomagnetic storms
- On the scientific use of a service instrument of the DEMETER satellite
- Survey of the height of the ionosphere using the VLF waves recorded by Demeter
- Ionospheric perturbations in association with seismic activity
- Ionospheric perturbations in relation with human activities
- Ionospheric perturbations linked to the thunderstorms
- The active experiments